Applications for the 2022 scholarship have now closed
What is the Farmers Scholarship?
The $15,000 scholarship, with partnership support from the Hills and Fleurieu Landscape Board, is open to those interested in farming but discouraged by the obstacles of entering the industry.
Developed in response to the declining number of farmers in the industry nationwide, this is WFM’s contribution to ensuring the future of farming on the Fleurieu Peninsula.
The scholarship will be paid to an eligible scholarship recipient for one 12 month period in order to set up a business growing primary produce on the Fleurieu Peninsula.
In the first 12 months of the scholarship recipients will receive:
$12,000 start up capital to grow primary produce on the Fleurieu Peninsula
Mentorship in small business management and agriculture to the value of $3,000 (3 mentors, including accounting / business structure)
a guaranteed licence to trade at WFM to supply primary produce and a weekly stall site for two years, with the first six months free of charge
Assistance locating possible land on which to farm, if necessary
Applications for the next round of our Farmers Scholarship will open later.
Scholarship applicant eligibility
To participate in the scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
– be at least 18 years of age at the time of commencing the scholarship
– be available to participate in the scholarship training, mentorship and work in the proposed business
– be independent, capable of withstanding public scrutiny and lawful
– attach a business plan to your application that is assessed as commercially viable by WFM auditors
– be located and operate within the Fleurieu Peninsula.